Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Good, Bad, and Yucky

Yesterday we had a beef roast which I put in the crock pot with a packet of brown gravy and a packet of ranch dressing mix. I mixed the two with a bit of water. Yes, there are a bunch of carbs in the "sauce" but that's ok because we don't eat the sauce. As a side dish I made garlic mash cauliflower and it was... well... cauliflower. I tried everything I could think of to make it taste less cauliflower-ish and I failed. Hard. I added garlic, salt, pepper, cream, sour cream, butter, rosemary, all to no avail. Ok, Cauliflower, you win. Andy straight up refused to eat it and I gave it the old College Try, but it was yucky. Truly yucky.
Cauliflower:1 Stacie:0

Tonight we had Balsamic Mustard Chicken. I used this recipe

Ingredients

  • 8 boneless chicken thighs;
  • 1 tbsp. Dijon or homemade mustard;
  • 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar;
  • 1/2 cup of olive oil;
  • 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice;
  • 2 tbsp. fresh rosemary, minced;
  • 1 garlic clove, minced;
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste;

    Preparation

  • In a bowl, combine the mustard, balsamic vinegar, garlic, rosemary, lemon juice, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
  • Slowly pour the olive oil in with the mixture while whisking.
  • Place the chicken in a marinating container (glass or plastic; don’t use metal) and pour the mustard balsamic marinade on top. Place in the refrigerator or leave on the counter, covered, and marinate for about 30 minutes.
  • Preheat your oven to 375 F.
  • Transfer the chicken to a baking dish and empty the remaining sauce on top.
  • Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour or until the chicken is cooked.
 http://paleoleap.com/mustard-balsamic-baked-chicken/

And Holy Moley, it was good! I used chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs simply because that's what we had. I typically cut my chicken breasts in half so they cook faster, like in half the time, faster.

As a side dish we had bacon green beans. They were delish too!
We winged it on that one. We cut up a few pieces of bacon, cooked them up, added a bag of French cut frozen green beans, saute them around a while. Then add a tiny bit of sugar free maple syrup. So good!

No comments:

Post a Comment