Sunday, January 19, 2014

Taco "Pasta" Bake

I found a recipe on pinterest.com a while ago for something called a Taco Pasta Bake. Apparently the original recipe has been deleted but here is what it is:
Ingredients:
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 3/4 box of penne pasta
  • 4 oz cream cheese
  • 1 package of taco seasoning
  • 3/4-1cup water
  • shredded cheddar cheese
Directions:
  • Brown the ground beef in a skillet, drain the meat. Add the taco seasoning and cook according to the package directions, adding the appropriate amount of water and bringing to a simmer. After that is incorporated, melt in the cream cheese. Then stir in the cooked pasta and 1/2 cup of cheese. Pour the mix into a greased baking dish, top with more cheese. Bake at 350 until bubbly and melted. 


It was delicious and we ate it often. I decided I would make this into a low carb recipe because we liked it so much. I made sure to buy the lowest carb cream cheese I could (the weight watchers brand) and read the labels on the taco seasoning, or make your own.
Here are the tweaks I made to the recipe:
Ingredients:
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 shredded spaghetti squash
  • 4 oz cream cheese
  • 1 TBS of taco seasoning
  • just a dab of water
  • shredded cheddar cheese
It is cooked exactly the same and I think I may like the low carb version better. It's has a great amount of crunch and a tiny bit of sweetness from the squash.


I served it with a side of yellow squash sauteed with a bit of butter, red pepper flake, and garlic salt. It was very good and it's a definite "do again".

Get out there and COOK!

No comments:

Post a Comment